We had our second parlor meeting for the VillagePDX project on Sunday. Again, an awesome group of smart, thoughtful people showed up, full of questions, good suggestions and offers of help.
One of the offers was to help “formalize/standardize” the parlor meeting presentation I’ve been giving so other people could also present it. I think this is a grand idea and am excited to have help developing it. So thank you in advance!
It was requested that I put the initial steps to “Making a Village” (which were listed on the white board we use for the presentation) on this blog. The steps are nothing you wouldn’t expect if you thought the process through and the order is flexible. But here they are:
Making a Village
- Hold informational meetings and get the word out.
- Develop informational handouts.
- Identify ways volunteers can help support the project and enlist their help.
- Assemble a task force/core team that is committed to this vision and can put their energy toward its manifestation for 2-3 years.
- Research existing villages across the country and study different village models.
- Define the village’s geographic boundaries (may be adjusted later).
- Identify strategic partners and make strategic partnerships.
- Line up pro bono professional services.
- Arrange for a fiscal sponsor and raise seed money.
- Find a “home” and meeting places.
- Develop a mission statement.
- Set village goals.
- Name the village.
- Research and develop a community profile.
- Design, administer and analyze a community survey/needs assessment.
- Develop a workable model for this specific village.
- Define the target audiences.
- Define the scope of services.
- Set membership fees.
- Develop a business plan.
- Elect a Board of Directors.
- Establish the village as a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
- Develop & produce promotional materials.
- Publicize the village.
- Recruit members and additional supporters.
Lastly, if you are interested in attending one of the Village PDX parlor meetings, we still have some space in the meetings on Sunday April 22 at 3pm and Thursday May 3 at 7pm. Just email email@example.com to reserve your place.